2.03.2008

my memories of president hinckley...

I was just thinking today about my memories of seeing President Hinckley in person, and I have 3 distinct ones that came to mind. First was when I was able to go to the Conference Center dedication General Conference session. In spite of growing up in Salt Lake City, I had never attended conference in person. And this time, I actually lived in Texas, but had come back to be able to go. (It is much easier to get tickets when you live in another state by the way, but I think I got these tickets from my Dad who was in the Mormon Tabernacle Choir). I remember sitting there during the prayer and how my spirit literally wept. Everyone also spotaneously stood and sang after Pres. Hinckley's prayer, and then slowly every apostle and authority on the stand stood on their feet. It was so neat.

The second time I remember seeing him was right before we moved from Texas, and he came for the dedication of the Lubbock, TX temple. We were outside for the cornerstone ceremony (John was singing in the cornerstone choir) and it was so neat to see him come out with his wife. They were so cute together. He made jokes, and even called my niece and nephew out of the audience to put mortar on the stone. When he left after the dedication, we were outside the temple and everyone broke into "We Thank Thee O God For A Prophet" as he got into his car, with his signature cane wave.

The last time I saw him in person was at John's graduation from BYU Law School. He had a granddaughter in John's class. We were all sitting there in the audience, and all of a sudden the prophet walked in and sat on the stand. It was so unexpected. Very cool.

I'm sure there were other times, but those are the ones that stand out to me. He was such a happy man, and we will miss him. Here is a picture from John's graduation (sorry it's not very good - the lighting wasn't very good and I was behind a pillar!).

1 comment:

Annabanana said...

those are neat memories