3.05.2008

mmm deceptively spaghetti...

I bought the book "Deceptively Delicious" that has recipes of different foods with added vegetable purees - basically ways to get your kids to get the veggies they need - when they won't eat them. Now, Zane is not really big on veggies - but he's not opposed to sometimes having one bite. To be honest, I got the book because I was interested in putting veggies in things for ME. I like veggies ok, I'm just SOOO bad about cooking them. I never remember to make veggies with dinner. Or, I forget to buy them in the first place. I'm also the kind of cook that would prefer to cook a whole bunch of stuff at once, and throw it all in the freezer - so I can just throw something in the oven, etc. for dinner.

So, a few weekends ago, I spent the afternoon Sat. making dozens of dozens of purees that I can just throw into dishes: cauliflower, sweet potato, squash, carrot, spinach, broccoli, red pepper, etc. The plus side to having all these purees in the freezer is that Lily can eat them as baby food too! There are also some great looking (I haven't tried them yet) dessert recipes in the book. I will let you know how they are when I try them.


Tonight we just had regular old spaghetti, but I threw in a carrot and a broccoli puree - so an extra cup of veggies. Didn't change the taste one bit. Zane loved it and Lily really enjoyed it. I thought I would compare pictures of the kids eating spaghetti around the same ages (Zane was a little older)- pretty cute kids!


4 comments:

Annabanana said...

such cute pictures! I have been interested in that book....you will have to let me know what you think about the recipies.
Spencer and I are pretty good with the veggies, but Ethan, oh my....everytime I give him a veggie, he picks it up to put it in my mouth.

Amelia Poll said...

Oh I love those kids!!! So cute! :)

Carrie said...

We have that cookbook too! Let me know which recipes you try and what you like...we've tried a bunch...and all of them were good, except the Turkey Chili--it was downright NASTY!! Anyway, I love the Blueberry bars, no one would ever guess that there is spinach in them!

Amanda Cheniae said...

Good for you! I think that book is a great idea. Lily looks soooo adorable and happy! And Zane was (and still is) so cute! What a big noggin that kid had! :o)
I am really really glad that Lily is doing better, you're an awesome mom!