9.04.2009

oh, to REALLY have a day off...

Well, I've been meaning to blog - so this is going to be a long one. My sisters, my mom, and I all got together this past weekend in Phoenix. It was so much fun to just hang out and shop (sorta). Little Evan got to come too of course. So I didn't get to do much sleeping in, but other than that - it was relaxing. We got a pedicure (my first real one ever!) and our nails done. We went to a fun movie, played jewelry/beads, and of course, lots of eating out. What we girls do best! I brought my camera, but managed to not take pictures, duh. Oh yeah and I turned 29 again last Sunday too! John made me a great cake - that yummy toffee chocolate one - when I got back. What a great guy!

This week was parent teacher conference and of course Zane is crazy ahead. Of course she talked about how smart he is, and that he makes her laugh every day. She also said he is having trouble finishing his work - staying on task, is inattentive quite a bit, talks a lot, and easily distracted. Yup. That would sum up Zane! He scored a 64 on a spelling test they gave him. She said that by the end of last year, she had a few of her students score as high as a 74. So - yeah that is WAY up there. There is one other kid in first grade that scored super high too, so they will most likely make up their own spelling group. He is also reading at an end of 2nd-beg. of 3rd grade level. She is pretty sure he can read at an even higher level - just isn't sure about the comprehension. (Zane really doesn't like to answer questions about his reading - who knows why).

We are having an evaluation done in a couple of weeks up in Salt Lake - so we are hoping to find out if there is any underlying condition that we need to know about concerning his behavior at school (not staying on task) or home (the aggression and anger as well as the poor attention). I'm extremely nervous about it. I guess mostly because I'm afraid I won't be taken seriously, or that I will over or under play the situation. Also - I just don't know what to expect.

Today was a day off of school - so things quickly got out of hand at our house, from the get go. Unfortunate. So - I decided I have to get the kids out of the house for a bit, and we headed to the library. Zane picked up quite a few books about Hurricanes, and one about Taiwan (?) and a couple of stories. We came home and put up the play tent with some blankets and pillows and had a reading tent. The kids enjoyed that (even if it was for only 20 minutes). I'm already tired, and we still have Labor Day too. Ugh.




5 comments:

Amy J said...

Don't be nervous about the testing - just tell them exactly what you've noticed. And if you feel that there is a problem, stick to your guns. I had several doctors tell me nothing was wrong with my kids before I was able to get them into a specialist. It may be nothing...he may just be bored at school because he is so ahead. But you know him better than anyone! The best thing you can do for Zane is find out if there is a problem. If there is, you can get him what he needs. If not, then, hey, you were just looking out for his best interests. Good luck!

Nick and Maddy Winward said...

What a fun activity! Good luck this weekend and we will be thinking about your testing!

Stephanie F. said...

Reading tent, you're such a good mom :) I love the pics of Evan. He has the most perfect lips. I can't believe how dark his eyes are too. I need to see a full body shot to get a better idea of the chub!

Lisa Cannon said...

You are a good Mom! I'm glad you could channel the energy into something fun. Keep at it and don't worry. Just tell the doctor all your concerns and everything you know and let him/her do the evaluating. Don't be afraid to talk about yourself and John as well since you will both need to be involved in whatever happens. You can do it! Just let it all out!

Annabanana said...

happy belated birthday!!! i love the reading tent idea...very clever.