9.21.2009

diagnoses...

Today was the big day. We traveled up to Salt Lake to have a psychiatric evaluation for Zane. He has been struggling (as have we) for awhile, and we finally decided we had to go this route. We filled out mounds of papers/behavioral questionnaires, and his teacher did one as well. The Dr. met with Zane first and then we all met with him. He asked us a few questions, and then announced that he fits the criteria for ADHD and probably Oppositional Defiant Disorder but it could possibly be a mood disorder (i.e. depression) given family genetics. He also said that the regular behavioral things are not going to work, and he figured we had probably already tried it all anyways. (so true!). He told us to really focus on the positive reward techniques like the marble jar we started recently. You earn a marble for positive things and those can be turned in for privelages - instead of focusing on taking away privelages. Then, the rest of the hour was spent talking about medication. I started out feeling really good, like ok, I have some validation that it's not "normal". But, it's really still sinking in, and I'm starting to feel overwhelmed by it all. Of course, my personality is to research and read everything I can about it. I've already been to the library and checked out every book they had. We don't have to make a decision about medication today, tomorrow, or next week. I am not against medication if that is what is best, but I also don't want to start throwing pills at him. Our course of action right now is to read, research, and lots and lots of praying. I welcome those with experience in this to offer support and wisdom.

1 comment:

Amy J said...

When you get a diagnosis for your kids, it IS really overwhelming. And I totally get the validation part, too. I had a lot of people/drs tell me nothing was wrong with my kids before I was able to get them to a specialist. We've been focusing on reward techniques with both Mason and Connor, and it's going really well, so your dr was correct in saying keep that up! Part of Aspergers can be Oppositional Defiant Disorder, and Mason tested really high for that. Not too fun. But once you know what he has, then you will find more resources to help Zane and you'll get some relief. I totally feel you right now. Don't get too overwhelmed, and don't underestimate the power of your own research! If you ever need to talk or vent or brainstorm for ideas, my e-mail is cera425@hotmail.com. (Sorry for the novel : ) )