4.14.2010

Cub scouts...

John is the cubmaster and I am the committee chair in our ward cub scout pack. This means that we have to plan pack meetings (once a month) and some of those pack meetings are pretty special events. In February we have the Blue and Gold banquet which is a dinner for the scouts and their families that celebrates the birthday of scouts. This year is the 100 year anniversary of the Boy Scouts of America so it was extra special. We planned a "Cubby Awards" themed banquet complete with MC (our wonderful cubmaster) and entertainment (by the MC and the wolf pack). I did all the decorations and helped John plan the ceremony. We gave out our cubbies and had a lasagna dinner and birthday cake. Turned out great.



After the Blue and Gold, we have the Pinewood Derby. This is a BIG DEAL to the scouts. Unfortunately this year, John came down with strep throat the day of the derby, so that left me in charge. I REALLY REALLY did not want to be the one in charge, but with a lot of help from my den leaders, we made it work. I think it turned out fine, and the kids had a lot of fun. (*I couldn't find these pics, I will have to upload them later)

Then just a couple of weeks later we had the Scout Expo. Our pack had a booth where the kids could make paper airplanes and throw them through some hoops (and get a piece of candy, of course). We kept it simple, and I think it worked out great. The boys that came had a lot of fun. My kids had a blast going around to all the different activities. There was a rock climbing wall, bounce house, rope bridge, fire engine, water rockets, and Zane's favorite - scuba diving. When it was his turn to put on the gear he said to the person running it: "Did you wash that off really good?" The guy was kinda confused and said "What? The mouth thing? Uh, the water is super disinfectant." I wouldn't want to put that in my mouth either Zane, after who knows how many boys had been sucking on it already. Way to be tough!

We've been really busy with scouts lately so we are looking forward to the summer break!

2 comments:

Annabanana said...

what a fun calling! one that i am so glad i don't have :)
That is cool though that you and jon get to work together. I am excited for ethan to be in cub scouts. especially for the pinewood derby!

susan m hinckley said...

And that's the good thing about having girls. . . but it sounds like you're doing a great job!