6.16.2008

weekly update...

I realized that I haven't updated the blog with some sort of interesting things that have been going on. Last Tuesday, Zane went in for his 1st dental visit to get his cavities taken care of. It didn't go so well. He hated the numbing stuff they put on his gums. It tasted bad, and felt weird to have it numb I'm sure. He wouldn't keep the gas mask on. They finally got the shots in, and then the dentist had to use a "Green Monster", as I remember them. It is really called a rubber dam I believe, and it is a silver clamp that clamps onto the gums, and attaches to a sheet of green plastic that cover up everything in the mouth, except the teeth the dentist works on. I remember not liking it when I was a kid. Zane really really really didn't like it. He suffered through and got one "root canal" done, and the dentist just did a filling instead of a crown. That was all he could make it through though. So....the plan of action now (he still needs one or two more like that, and then 2-3 more smaller fillings), the dentist gave us some Valium to give him before we come in this week. Then hopefully he will be calm enough to try the gas and the dentist is going to try to get it all done. Oh, please pray for us! The next option is the pediatric dentist (insurance doesn't cover - we really can't afford that!)

Ok, so that was Tuesday. On Friday we took Lily in to be weighed. She's almost 21 pounds now. Pretty good! Friday afternoon, Lily crawled into her room, and I was in the family room. I wasn't worried about her getting in to anything in there, so I periodically had Zane look in and make sure she was ok. Well after a few minutes alone, I heard her start coughing. I ran in, and she had something in her mouth she was choking on. I couldn't see it in her mouth, and I didn't know what it could be, but I picked her up and put her upside down and starting patting her back (isn't that what you are supposed to do??? I feel like a total bad mom for not knowing!). It didn't come out, but she swallowed it. I know you are dying to know what it was...

It was a locking nut that goes on a screw. It is like a regular nut, only is has ridges on the outside to dig into wood "locking" it in place. It's about 1/2 in. long, and 1/4 in. wide. It was attached to a screw, that was sticking out of the bottom piece of her rocking horse that she got for christmas. Zane broke the head part off awhile back, so both pieces have just been sitting in her room. Who would have thought she could unscrew it off of the screw? Yes, I know, toddlers should really not ever be unsupervised. Still waiting for it to come out...

Funny picture of Lily first learning how to drink out of a straw. She loves to make this face (without the straw). It's hilarious.

No comments: