7.22.2009

friends, family, FUN!...

John's extended family had a family reunion in Logan this past weekend. We got up to Logan on Friday evening (finally) and spent the day Saturday at a park (in the heat) visiting with family. I had been sick since Thursday with a fever and flu-like stuff, so it wasn't so great for me, but the kids had a lot of fun playing with cousins.

On Sunday - we decided to take a little side trip up to Minnetonka Cave in Idaho by Bear Lake. Zane is very interested in caves, and we figured this might be the only close by cave that we could actually go into with the kids. Timpanogos is too hard of a hike for the little ones (and us!). I didn't realize that although there is no hiking to Minnetonka - there are 444 steps over just a 1/2 mile of cave inside. Up and down. And you have to go in and back. So 888 steps total. Including one really steep 71 step staircase. A lot of these steps are uneven rock steps as well. So - I would recommend - do not take your kids unless they can walk it themselves (and NOT at nap time). John carried Lily almost the entire way, and I carried Evan in the baby Bjorn. John had to leave early with Lily - she was DONE. I stayed with the baby and Zane. Zane did fabulously. He loved it and didn't complain. I have to say that I am STILL sore 3 days later.





Monday was Lagoon day. It wasn't really smart of us to go and kill ourselves doing that cave the day before. We were pretty sore to be walking around Lagoon all day. It was a very hot day, and I wasn't fully recovered from my illness (I'm sure the cave the day before did not help). John and I, Lily, and the baby all stayed as long as possible, but left late afternoon. Much too hot to have a baby out. I don't know what it is about nursing in the heat, but it's just really NOT fun. I really don't know how the pioneer women did it. We left Zane to ride the rides with some of John's cousins. He had an absolute blast! He rode all the roller coasters and just loved it. I felt bad that we weren't there to see his excitement and share in it, but I'm so glad that he was able to enjoy himself.






We had a lot of fun being able to spend time with family and old friends. We miss you all and wish we could see you more often. Thanks for the fun times!!

1 comment:

Mickel said...

I've been to Minnetonka Cave...serious stairs...Noelle was a toddler and I carried her all the way on my back...I feel your pain. I actually took my kids to Timp Cave with my family this past week. Shaun didn't come, so I carried Bridger in a pack up and back...my shoulders are killing me. It is such a cool cave, though. We made it up with 11 LITTLE kids...you should give it a try...just give yourself lots of time to hike up...we barely made it in time. I also feel your pain at Lagoon...it is so hard to meet the needs of the older kids when you've got to tend to the needs of the smaller ones. Ugh! It's so hard.