5.24.2009

when mom's away...

I spent the day yesterday with some of my friends from high school that came to visit. I was gone most of the afternoon until late last night. Since I didn't get home until quite late, John was up early getting the kids ready for church. He even did Lily's hair. He doesn't do a bad job actually. We were running late, so I let Lily jump on my lap in the car instead of sticking her in her seat, so I got a close up look of her ponytails. There was a big lump of hair seeming to be coming out right in the back of one of the ponies. So I took it out - and it looked like a big chunk had been cut right in the middle of the back of her head. Who do you think did it? Was it Lily? Or was it Zane?


Oh you know my kids too well! Of course it was Zane! Yesterday morning, Zane and I had gone to get our haircut at the salon. So, at some point during the afternoon, Zane had taken Lily into the playroom - and set her in the office chair, got his little kindergarten scissors and started cutting off her curls. He obviously knew this was wrong, not only because he is almost 6 years old, but also because he hid all the locks of hair behind one of my craft storage things on the floor under the table. There is a big hunk out of the middle top layer in the back. Some smaller cuts here and there on top and sides. I can tell you that I am much more angry that he did this than if Lily had done this to herself. He knows better. She has such beautiful hair, and it will now have to be cut at some point. Thank goodness it does blend in right now, and once it grows out a little, I will just have to get her hair layered to hide it better.

Any ideas for a relevant punishment for him (in addition to the obvious, no more scissors)? We've told him that we will tell him tomorrow morning what it will be - we are just too angry about it right now and John and I need to have a private conversation to get on the same page.

2 comments:

Annabanana said...

oh that is so sad! good luck with the punishment. i have no great ideas. i just yell at ethan when he is naughty. this so seems like something ethan will do one day to ellen....keep those scissors locked up!

Amanda Cheniae said...

Oh, haircutting incident's are such an important part of growing up! I haven't read on, but no doubt you came up with a suitable punishment. Don't you kinda wish he had gotten that bratz hairstyling doll for xmas now...? :)