We've had some issues at our house. Since about 3 months before the baby was born, Zane was obviously having problems. He has a hard time managing his anger in general. I remember it starting at 13 months, him throwing himself on the floor and wailing and wailing on and on about things. We have learned a lot of what tips him off through the years, and he goes through phases - where he is able to manage it better, then something like a holiday comes up and it gets worse, etc.
Here we are in a rough phase again, only it has seemed to last a lot longer. Reminiscent of his 2 year old days. He used to try to hurt us at 2 years old - hit, bite, throw things, etc. As he got older, it was much less frequent, etc. It has returned with a vengeance (almost one major outburst every day again), only he is much stronger, and there are more people in the house (sister and baby) that can be accidentally in the way. Try and get a 6 year old to sit in the quiet chair (timeout), or go to his room to calm down. This last attempt was 1 hour on and off the chair before he could calm down enough to do his "time", including spit on the floor, and him stripping down to nekked and threatening to pee on me (don't know what that was about). Oh, the jekyll and hyde of a 6 year old. We've always had to deal with Zane, as he is a more intense in every way kind of kid- but this has been really hard on us this time around. If it doesn't turn around soon - I really think that we may need to get some professional help. I'm starting to keep a sort of "event" journal so that in case we do need to go that route, I have some sort of a baseline of his behavior. Please tell me this is a phase, and that major temper tantrums at 6 years old is still in the "realm of normal" - or tell me it's time for help.
p.s. I'm not looking for parenting advice, just sympathy.
4 comments:
You have my full sympathy -- I just had really easy kids as far as behavioral problems go (mostly just anxiety issues which don't cause personal injury!) but I'm certainly an advocate for getting help if you need it. Even if all it does is help you find the best ways to cope, reassure you about your parenting skills, put your mind at ease about your son, etc. Do it for yourself. Why wait? If someone were "sick" you'd go to the doctor to feel better. There's absolutely no reason to put it off. For everybody's sake. Just my two cents -- with much love.
Oh stressful. Especially with it coming with a new baby in the house too. At least for me adding one more is just making me that much more tired, warn out, and struggling to handle everything that needs to be done. I hope it is just a phase, but can't really tell you. Tanner has some anger issues too and I keep hoping he will get better. It is kind of a phase thing too where it comes and goes. I don't know if it is as intense as this, but man hang in there. Tanner is wearing me out, so I can only imagine. I can ask Brian if he thinks you should get help yet. He is a MFT. I am sending lots of energy and good vibes your way. Hang in there.
Parenting is sooooo hard! I think girls are a little different than boys, but my sister-in-law has a son Zane's age. She was describing his behavior and problems she's been having with him, and it sounds exactly like what you just described. Their family just went through a big change also--moving from CA to UT--which she feels intensified his behavior. So, it sounds like it falls in the "realm of normal" and hopefully will pass as they adjust to the big changes in their little lives.
No clue.
The only thing in my mind is that if you have a feeling you should perhaps see someone about it, then do it. Mama's intuition...it's there for a reason.
I think I may take my oldest in in a few years...I think she may have anxiety issues.
You're not alone...even when the littles are driving you insane! (Baby is uber cute...I love squishable cheeks!)
Post a Comment