11.17.2011

Hawaii Day SEVEN (yup still posting about it)....

Friday was the last day we spent in our rental house on the beach.  We got up early that morning and headed to Laie beach.  There is a little island off the beach there called Goat Island.  Sara, Cory, and John ventured out to the island.  They could almost walk the entire way.  I stayed back on the beach to keep an eye on our stuff.  It started to make me nervous as time went on because the waves were really kicking up on the back side of the island.  I was worried that someone would venture off the beach on that side and get in trouble - but of course, everyone was smart and made it back safe.



I found a little "friend" on the beach that kept me entertained.  The beach was covered with "sea stuff" and yes, that is the technical term.  All of this sea stuff made for some great food for our friends the Ghost Crabs.  Ghost Crabs are pretty much clear in color, and up to this point, I think I had only seen a few on the beaches around Hawaii.  Laie beach was full of them!  It freaks you out the first time you see one, because you can't see them until they move.  And usually they are quite tiny.  My "friend" was a pretty big one that kept peeking up out of his hole... then would run and grab something and run back.  I would have to stay very still to keep from scaring him away.  Sara and John made it back before Cory did, so they sat and played with the crab with me.  It was amazing how the crab could sense movement so well.  I was sitting about 10 feet away, and it could tell if I moved.  We thought it would be funny by throwing stuff at it to see if it would run away.  It was sitting on the edge of it's hole, and I picked up a sea shell and threw it at it... and you know what? It ran out and CAUGHT the shell.  No joke.  We spent probably a half hour throwing things at it.  Too funny.



After Laie beach - I believe we went back to Turtle Cove and snorkeled some more.  Ate some lunch and headed into Haliewa to shop.  We stopped at a place called Turtle Beach where a lot of turtles tend to congregate and actually come up on the beach.  There are special volunteers called Honu Guardians that keep watch over the turtles to make sure that people leave them alone.  I couldn't believe how many turtles were swimming around out there.  Three were beached while we were there.  
This is Isabel and Punahele - and the Honu Guardian told us that they were not "together" together.  Haha, how do they even know that?   It's cute.
Do you see that in the wave?  Yup, that's a turtle surfing!

We shopped at some little shops in Haliewa and ate some dinner and more Matsumoto's Shave Ice.  Then headed home.  I don't have a lot of photos from this day - so I think that my recollection is right, but I could be wrong.  I reserve the right to amend this day's post!

No comments: